James CravenFACS, M.D. Request An Appointment
- Breast Surgery
- Endocrine Surgery
- General Surgery
- Hernia Surgery
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Thyroid & Parathyroid Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
Dr. James Craven joined Surgical Specialists South in 1998 after completing his undergraduate studies at Santa Clara University, medical school at Oregon Health & Science University, and surgical residency at Virginia Mason Medical Center in Seattle, Washington. Prior to joining Surgical Specialist South, Dr. Craven also practiced surgery with the Siuslaw Surgical Clinic in Florence, Oregon and with The Rockwood Clinic in Spokane, Washington.
Dr. Craven was trained in a broad spectrum of surgery and combines this with a natural comprehension of surgical health and ability to handle unexpected situations with expertise. He enjoys performing surgery and loves hearing from patients afterward. His favorite part about his work is when a patient approaches him to say, “you saved my life” or “thank you for being there for me.” It is an honor to be able to help people through surgery.
A native Oregonian, Dr. Craven was excited to return to Portland after living away for many years. Outside of work, he enjoys running, gardening, golfing, and spending time with his family.
Education & Training
- Internship & Residency, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, WA, 1994
- MD, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 1989
- BS, Chemistry, Santa Clara University, Santa Clara, CA, 1984
- Portland Monthly Magazine, “Top Doctors,” 2021
- School Advisory Board, 2007-2015
- Member, American College of Surgeons
Practice website: www.oregonclinic.com